A Culture of Safety, Responsibility and Inclusion
key documents & data
- Track Equinox Gold’s 2021 health and safety performance
- Read Equinox Gold’s Health and Safety Policy
- Read Equinox Gold’s Diversity Policy
- Read Equinox Gold’s 2020 ESG Report in:
Equinox Gold’s culture of shared responsibility ensures team members take responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their co-workers. Our aim is to achieve zero harm. Every day starts with a safety meeting, and we ensure our workforce has the knowledge, skills and resources they need to operate safely.
Congratulations to team at our Castle Mountain Mine for winning the 2020 Chairman’s Safety Award! During 2020 Castle Mountain completed construction and commissioning and achieved production with a Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate of zero, all while managing the additional health and safety challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about the Castle Mountain team here. Ross Beaty, Equinox Gold’s Chairman, stated: Castle Mountain is a very worthy winner for the inaugural Chairman’s Safety Award. Completing construction with no lost-time injuries or medical treatments is an outstanding achievement and a highlight for our performance as a company during 2020. The Castle Mountain team has set the benchmark for all Equinox Gold mine sites.
HEALTH & SAFETY PERFORMANCE - 2020Equinox Gold implemented a number of important health and safety initiatives during 2020, including:
- Developing the Equinox Gold Health & Safety Management Standards
- Formalizing reporting guidance and requirements for all sites
- Setting expectations for workforce behavior by adopting the Equinox Gold Life Saving Rules
- Commencing implementation of the Towards Sustainable Mining Health & Safety protocols
- Joining the Mine Safety Round Table to benchmark our activities and learn/share current best practices with other member companies
A key focus during 2020 was encouraging reporting of “near-miss incidents” to allow us to investigate and identify root causes that can then be mitigated. All incidents are investigated and, for significant incidents, the information is shared among all of the sites, emphasizing key learnings and mitigation strategies.
Equinox Gold’s Lost-time Injury Frequency Rate for full-year 2020 is 0.69 per million hours worked (2020 target: 0.95). The Company’s Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate for full-year 2020 is 3.67 per million hours worked (2020 target: 4.82). The Company’s 2020 targets were based on a 10% reduction of 2019 full-year results. More detailed information about Equinox Gold’s 2020 health and safety performance can be viewed here.
For 2021, Equinox Gold has set the target of achieving a Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate of 3.9 or less.
A summary of Equinox Gold’s approach to health and safety, its strategy for managing the COVID-19 pandemic, the Company’s progress during 2020 and next steps for 2021 can be found in our Responsible Mining: Commitments & Performance document.